- M.I.T. Tzini, P.I. Sarafoglou, A. Stieben, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, W. Bleck, Austenite evolution and solute partitioning during thermal cycling in the intercritical range of a medium-Mn steel, Steel Research International, in-press accepted manuscript, 2016.
- Z. Cai, H. Ding, H. Kamoutsi, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, R.D.K. Misra, Interplay between deformation behavior and mechanical properties of intercritically annealed and tempered medium-manganese transformation-induced plasticity steel, Materials Science and Enginnering A, 654, pp.359-367, 2016.
- H. Kamoutsi, E. Gioti, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Z. Cai and H. Ding, Kinetics of solute partitioning during intercritical annealing of a medium-Mn steel, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46, No.11, pp. 4841-4846, 2015.
- P.I. Sarafoglou, M.I.T. Tzini and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Simulation of cyclic transformations in the intercritical range of a 5Mn steel, Int. Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 1:104, 2015.
- G.F. Samaras and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Carburization of high-temperature steels: A simulation-based ranking of carburization resistance, Engineering Failure Analysis, 51, pp.29-36, 2015.
- P.I. Sarafoglou and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Phase Fraction Mapping in the As-Cast Microstructure of Extrudable 6xxx Aluminum Alloys, Int. Journal of Materials Research 105, No.12, pp. 1202-1208, 2014.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, N. Aravas and I. Bellas, Kinetics of Strain-Induced Transformation of Dispersed Austenite in Low-Alloy TRIP Steels, Materials Science and Engineering A 615, pp.416-413, 2014.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, H. Kamoutsi and A.D. Zervaki, Simulation of the transformation of iron intermetallics during homogenization of 6xxx series extrudable aluminum alloys, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212, pp. 2255-2260, 2012.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, A. Katsamas and H. Kamoutsi, Thermodynamics-Based Computational Design of Al-Mg-Zr-Sc Alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A Vol.41(4), p.888-899, 2010.
- S. Samaras and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Modelling of Segregation and Homogenization of 6061 Extrudable Al-Alloy, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.194, pp.63-73, 2007.
- A.D. Zervaki & G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Computational Kinetics Simulation of the Dissolution and Coarsening in the HAZ during Laser Welding of 6061-T6 Al-alloy, Welding Journal, Vol.86, pp. 211s-221s, 2007.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Coupled Thermodynamic / Kinetic Analysis of Diffusional Transformations During Laser Hardening and Laser Welding, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 320, pp.302-307, 2001.
- A.I. Katsamas, A.N. Vasilakos and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Simulation of Intercritical Annealing in Low-alloy TRIP Steels, Steel Research, 71, No.9, pp.351-356, 2000.
- A.I. Katsamas and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Surface Hardening of Low Alloy 15CrNi6 Steel by CO2 Laser Beam, Surface & Coatings Technology, 115, p.249-255, 1999.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos and A. Vasilakos, Modelling of Austenite Stability in Low-Alloy Triple-Phase Steels, Steel Research, 67, Nο.11, p. 513-519, 1996.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Austenite Stabilization from Direct Cementite Conversion in Low-Alloy Steels, Steel Research, 67, No.3, p.93-99, 1996 (Nominated for Best Paper Award 1996 in Steel Research).
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, M. Grujicic, G.B. Olson, and M. Cohen, Thermodynamics-Based Alloy Design Criteria for Austenite Stabilization in the Fe-Ni-Co System, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol.220, p.142-147, 1995.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, M. Grujicic, G.B. Olson, and Morris Cohen, On the Optimization of Precipitated Austenite for the Transformation Toughening of Steels, CALPHAD, Vol.13, No.3, p.207-216, 1989.
- M. Grujicic and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, A Treatment of Paraequilibrium Thermodynamics Using the Thermocalc Software and Database, CALPHAD, Vol.12, No.2, p.187-192 , 1988.
What is Alloyneering
Alloyneering is a generic term, developed at the Laboratory of Materials at University of Thessaly. It combines the words Alloy and Engineering and describes a concise knowledge-based methodology leading to the design and development of engineered alloys. Alloyneering encompasses the application of computational alloy thermodynamics and kinetics on one hand, which can describe the microstructure evolution, with suitable strength models on the other hand, which link strength with microstructure, for the design of metallic alloys with tailored properties. The flow chart of Alloyneering is shown below. The aim of Alloyneering is ALLOY DESIGN and PROCESS DESIGN.
Who is Alloyneering
People contributing to this site are graduate and doctoral students as well as researchers of the Laboratory of Materials at UTH. In addition to the above, anyone working in microstructural simulations, alloy design and ICME in general, is welcomed to contribute to the site with a simulation example or an alloy design example (see CONTRIBUTORS in the main menu). This will help to disseminate information in the ICME community.
How to become a contributor
Prof. Gregory N. Haidemenopoulos
Greg Haidemenopoulos is a Professor of Physical Metallurgy and Head of the Laboratory of Materials, http://materials.mie.uth.gr/, at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly, Greece, since 1992. He holds a Ph.D. degree from MIT and is working on the development of the Alloyneering concept for the last 25 years.
Dr. H. Kamoutsi
Helen Kamoutsi holds a Ph.D. degree from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly. She is active in the simulation of Medium-Mn and TRIP steels as well as the bainitic transformation under paraequilibrium driving forces.
Dr. P.I. Sarafoglou
Gioula Sarafoglou earned her Ph.D. degree in 2016 from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly. She is active in the simulation and design of extrudable Al-alloys. Her research led to the development of a novel high extrudability alloy for the Aluminium of Greece.
Dr. A. Katsamas
Antonis Katsamas has earned his Ph.D. from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly. He has been active in the simulation of laser carburizing, the bainitic transformation and intercritical anealing in high-strength steels.
Margianna Tzini is a Ph.D student at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly. Her doctoral thesis concerns the process design of HSLA steels for piping applications, using phase-field modeling, CALPHAD based tools and evolutionary computing for optimization. She has worked on the cyclic transformations in medium-Mn steels.
John Aristeidakis is a Ph.D student at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly. He is working on the development of algorithms for the computational design (optimum compositions and process windows) of Medium-Mn steels used for industrial and automotive applications. His work is primarily an ICME based study.
George Sanaras completed his undergraduate studies at the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2015. His work was on the simulation of high-temperature carburization and the ranking of alloys based on their carburization resistance. George is now pursuing a Ph.D. degree at EPFL.
The purpose of this site is to promote the idea of Alloyneering